GCF: An Introduction
Founded in 1999, the Global Certification Forum (GCF) was set up in response to regulatory changes in the European Union in order to give operators confidence in the inter-working of new mobile devices as technology and market growth spiralled.
GCF has 5 stated key objectives:
1) To maintain and strengthen the current scope of GCF and its robust and respected GCF Certification regime.
2) To provide a platform for the harmonization of test requirements with the aim of avoiding duplication of testing
3) To enable the certification of all devices that include 3GPP Radio Technologies
4) To promote the certification of all devices irrespective of the distribution channel
5) To ensure GCF Certification is open to other areas of mutual benefit to GCF Members and the industry.
-Global Certification Forum Ltd
So what does that really mean? GCF promotes cooperation between its membership of network operators and mobile device manufacturers- this in turn ensures networks and mobile devices work together as expected, which is in the best interests of the industry. Third-party test houses, such as TesTime, make up the rest of the membership and provide certification in line with the agreed parameters set by the GCF ensuring independent validation by qualified and expert companies.
Want to know more about GCF and its policies and procedures? Take a look at our additional information pages here.